Guest artist for the London Art Biennale 2017
After winning the first prize for sculpture in the same event in 2015, Catalin was invited by the organisers as a guest artist to this edition of the London Art Biennale.
Some beautiful words of which I'm proud:
"Inquiry into an ideal of beauty is also pursued by artist Catalin Geana, whose metallic sculptures traverse the traditional pathways of figural representation with renewed interest. From their execution in bronze to their distorted bodily features, these works reflect an aesthetic intentionally reminiscent of ancient civilization. Harkening back to the materiality and practice of the early origins of art, Geana nonetheless imbues them with an ideology that is distinctly modern. And here, once again, we find a yearning to simultaneously honour and re-evaluate the accepted standards of artistic understanding. Geana’s work in particular presents itself as a violation of tradition, a refusal to acquiesce to what has already been established."
Critique - Beers Lambert Contemporary Visions IV London, 2013
"Catalin decently refuses the easy temptation. He uses his own poetic fantasy. It's a fantasy intelligently and systematically forged from years of successful reconversion essays. He has valuable experience in the public forum. He owns a substantial portofolio that certifies the originality of his sculptural vision. He can reshape archaetypal motifs into spectacular art.
These qualities place him unequivocally into the proteic heritage of the post-brancusian innovative aesthetics next to Zadkine, Boccioni, Lipchitz, Moore, Botero." Corneliu Antim, art critic
post-brancusian - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantin_Br%C3%A2ncu%C8%99i
Corneliu Antim - https://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corneliu_Antim
"Cătălin’s bronzes feel overwhelmingly strong, as if they come from a long lost, mysterious world, from across the unknown seas, from across time. Cătălin is a truly European artist, inspired but departed from the modernist breath of Brancusi. He seems possessed by an infinitely black magic originated in the Ancient World of the Aztecs. He creates portraits and masks found in postures vibrating with mystery and magic. Watching with the eyes of your mind you have the feeling you’re walking through dark temples and pyramids, lit up only by the power of his bronzes."
Liviu Tudor Samuila, art critic
- The London Art Biennale Award for Sculpture, First Prize, awarded by the jury of the London Art Biennale, London, Chelsea Town Hall, 2015.
- The Leonardo Award for Sculpture, Second Prize, awarded by the Chianciano Art Museum, at the Biennale of Chianciano, 2013.
- Distinction for Artistic Merit, awarded by the Chianciano Art Museum, at the Biennale of Chianciano, 2013.
- The Brancusiana Award for Sculpture, Third Prize, accorded by the Municipality of Targu-Jiu, 2005.
Who is Catalin Geana?
+447515967603 e-mail: email@example.com (London agency contact)
Born on the 12th of September 1969, in Targu-Carbunesti, Romania
Member of Romanian Artists Union, Sculpture Division, since 2007
Graduated from the National Academy of Arts in 1995
Exibitions and shows
- 2016, Artists Union Of Romania, Bucharest Branch Resident Artists annual exhibition Bucharest, Romania
- 2015, Artists Union Of Romania, Bucharest Branch Resident Artists annual exhibition Bucharest, Romania
- 2013, The Municipal Art Gallery of Targu-Jiu, Romania
- 2013, Temporary Gallery Berlin, Germanys
- 2012, "Prelude to Mastery" Scit'ART Gallery, Buchar est
- 2012, "Catalin Geana- Sculpture" Simeza Gallery, Bu charest
- 2011, "The Bronze Seal of Dreams", Sinaia Casino
- 2014, "Catalin Geana- sculpture", Căminul Artei Gallery, Bucharest
- 2015, "London Art Biennale 2015", Gagliardi Art Gallery, Chelsea, London
- 2014, "Emerging Artists 2014", Slow Art Gallery, New York, USA
- 2014, "ART International", BoxHeart Gallery, Pittsburgh, USA
- 2014, "Art 14", Olympia Grand Hall, London (Beers Lambert Contemporary, London)
- 2013, Biennale of Chianciano, Italia
- 2013, "Contemporary Visions IV", Beers Lambert Cont emporary, London
- 2013, "Freeze", Seet'ART, Espacio Gallery, London
- 2013, Innsbruck Art Fair, Austria (Galleria Arte Vi sivi, Florenta)
- 2012, "WHY NOT...", Bucharest Municipality Museum ( Sutu Palace), Bucharest
- 2012, "Miniatures", Elite Art Gallery, Bucharest
- 2010, "Small Sculpture Show" Horizon Gallery, Bucharest
- 2010, "Municipal Art Exhibition", Art Gallery of Bucharest
- 2009, "Age of Bronze", Museum of Art, Cluj-Napoca
- 2007, "Autumn Salon" Home Art Gallery, Bucharest
- 2006, "Design of sculptors" Simeza Gallery, Buchare st
- 1996-2005, "Small Sculpture Show" Simeza Gallery, Bucharest
Works of art in public space:
- 2016, "Hand", Targu-Jiu
- 2012, "Head", Vama Veche, Constanta
- 2006, "Gheorghe Magheru Commemorative Bust", Albeni (Gorj)
- 2005, "Engine", Targu-Jiu
- 2001, "Barbarians", Targu-Jiu
- 1998, "Ion Popescu Voiteşti Commemorative Bust" Balanesti (Gorj)