The artworks for the 2019 edition are selected many months in advance of the Biennale. If you are interested in exhibiting in the 2019 edition please apply at the bottom of the page once you have read the information.
Your art in 2 exhibitions
Gagliardi Gallery, a gallery with 40 years in Chelsea, is a key organiser of the Biennale and has agreed to host an additional exhibition and showcase a limited number of artists that are approved for the London Biennale. All current successful Biennale artist applications will benefit from being included in a group exhibition at the Gagliardi Gallery in addition to the London Biennale 2019.
Artists who apply today are guaranteed to be included in both exhibitions (Gagliardi Gallery exhibiton AND the London Art Biennale)
- Accepted artistic disciplines include works on canvas, works on paper, applied arts, digital art and sculpture.
- All artworks are insured during their stay at the London Biennale.
Transport of Artworks
- Artworks can be delivered to the Biennale by hand/in person only on the 19th and 20th of May 2019.
The address is:
Chelsea Old Town Hall, King's Road, London SW3 5EE
For any questions or access on the day, please call Marie on +447802724668
For artworks that are shipped: Delivery arrival dates are from the 1st - 10th May 2019 to the designated address (not the Chelsea Old Town Hall).
You can collect your work in person on Sunday 26th May after the Biennale closes. You will have to pack the artworks yourself as you are transporting them. Works not collected personally by Monday morning before 12pm (27th May) will be removed by our designated shipping company and taken to their warehouse and you will incur a handling cost of £30 pounds payable to the Shipping Company.
- All transport costs to and from the exhibition are payable by the Artist or artist representative. The organisation does not accept any liability for damages caused during transport.
- Participants are not required to attend in person as the exhibition will be staged by a group of expert curators.
- Hanging is not done by genre or by artistic movement. It is emphasised that the effect of the individual work is of prime significance. Therefore, the hanging is aimed to remove visual confusion and allow for focused concentration on each individual work. For this reason, works delivered late may not be included in the exhibition.
- Approved artists may show one work up to 200cm x 200cm or two works up to 100cm x 100cm, at the discretion of the curators. The dimensions of sculptures will be decided on a piece by piece basis.
- Larger and smaller works will be considered at the discretion of the selection committee.
- Prices and information will be available with the London Biennale staff.
- The London Art Biennale does not retain any commission on sales during the exhibition, unless otherwise agreed with an individual artist.
PR and Promotion
Please click here to view some of the press coverage of the last edition of the London Biennale
The awards are chosen and presented by three international panels:
- London Biennale Jury
- The International Confederation of Art Critics Jury
- The Anglo-Italian Academy of Art Jury
Printed & Online Catalogue
Each artist will have one A4 page with one work published in the hardcopy and online catalog.
The catalog will be prepared by the same designers who prepared catalogs such as:
"Figures, from Realism to Abstraction" at the Victoria & Albert Museum, London.
"The Third Millennium Exhibition" at the Lord Leighton Museum, London.
"Impressions on Canvas" at the Chelsea Town Hall, London.
"Biennale of Chianciano" at the Chianciano Art Museum
"Brian Willsher - Avant Guarde Bronzes"
"Chianciano Art Museum Publication"
Participating artists will be able to pick up their free copy of the printed catalog at the London Art Biennale's front desk.
- This Agreement is governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of England. The parties submit all their disputes arising out of or in connection with this Agreement to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of England.
- Participating artists consent to the use of images of their artworks by the London Art Biennale & partners for promotional and PR purposes.
- Provided the selection process is passed, the participation cost for the London Art Biennale is £1,500 GBP inclusive of 20% VAT per exhibited artist.
Click on the button below to propose your artwork for the London Art Biennale 2019: